A TRIBUTE TO OUR PRESIDENT
…to the president of our Congregation, that is
As Lance Strate steps down from the helm, our thanks are due.
I will leave it to future historians to assess his legacy, but allow me to point out that Lance:
- Served three terms (six years) as our president
- He did so while maintaining a demanding academic career
- He did so while meeting demanding family responsibilities
- He gave witty weekly greetings and announcements
- He wrote wise and wonderful bimonthly bulletin columns
- He enhanced our community profile with articles in the Jewish Standard
- He ran our blog spot
- He coordinated our poetry garden meetings
- He wrote four Purim spiels
- He brought many an intriguing speaker (and a musical ensemble) to our Congregation
- He read Torah each Rosh Hashanah
- He offered a passionate High Holy day appeal
I am very fortunate to have worked with Lance for the entirety of his term, and look forward to benefiting from his continued involvement as an “elder statesman” as we near (as Lance was fond of reminding us) our “sesquicentennial” (otherwise referred to as 150th anniversary) just three years from now.
Our heartfelt thanks must also go out to Barbara, Ben and Sarah for allowing Lance to dedicate such time and effort to our congregation.
And to Lance we say, hazak v’amatz—be strong, and may you go from strength to strength.